Cheap Meals for People who Can’t Cook: Mexican Shepherd’s Pie
I am a horrible cook. Not only do I suck at it, but I also don’t enjoy it. I don’t like dealing with the preparation, the waiting, and the clean up. Fortunately, my hubby is a fantastic cook and he has been teaching me how to make stuff that is pretty easy that anyone can do. Welcome to the first post in a new series I am calling “Cheap Meals for People who Can’t Cook”. I’m going to share with you a meal he made that requires very little effort, tastes great, and will feed 10-12 people. Allow me to introduce you to Mexican Shepherd’s Pie!
What is Mexican Shepherds Pie? It’s just like regular Shepherd’s or Cottage pie with hearty layers of meat and mashed potatoes but with a Mexican spin. There are lots of versions out there. But since this is for people who can’t cook, I’m going to explain how to make this in terms even an airhead (like me) should be able to understand.
Ingredients for Mexican Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 lbs of Ground Beef (we got it on sale for $1.99 a pound) = $4
- 1 pack Old El Paso taco seasoning = 82 cents
- 2 cans no salt added corn = 69 cents each
- Large can of refried beans = $1.50
- 2 packs Idahoan nacho cheese potatoes = $1 each
- Half a cup of fiesta shredded cheese = $2.50 for a bag
- 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of milk for the refried beans (you probably already have this in your fridge)
- *Daisy Squeeze Sour Cream (if desired)
How to Make Mexican Shepherd’s Pie
For most of the ingredients, you just need to follow the directions according to the packets, so if you can’t cook, you will at least need to know how to read.
- Cook ground beef in a frying pan on medium heat and pour in the taco seasoning. Keep stirring until the meat is brown. This means you will need to stir the meat until you see no more pink.
- Cook potatoes following directions on the packet. You only need the bag of instant mashed potatoes and water. Stir until it’s not lumpy.
- Pour the canned corn into a microwave safe bowl and microwave it for about 3 mins.
- Dump your can of beans in a saucepan on medium heat, pour in the milk and butter, then stir while cooking until it turns pasty.
- Once everything is cooked, it’s time to layer your dish.
How to Layer the Mexican Shepherd’s Pie
Grab a glass casserole dish. After everything is cooked, it’s time to make your pie. Here is a step by step guide:
My family loves this meal. There are only three of us, but this recipe makes enough servings for 10-12 people so we get lots of leftovers. Plus it’s cheap! With all of the ingredients combined, it is equivalent to less than $1.50 per portion. It’s hearty but only comes to around 405 calories per serving. And one serving is very filling. Makes a fantastic meal for impromptu family gatherings and is just as great on warm summer evenings as it is on cold winter nights. This Mexican Shepherd’s Pie is comfort food that is tasty, affordable, and satisfying. Plus it’s so easy to make, it’s perfect for those of us who can’t cook.
But now who’s going to do the dishes?
Have you ever tried Shepherd’s Pie? What is your favorite comfort food? Leave me a comment and let me know!
*Daisy Squeeze Sour Cream was received complimentary from BzzAgent