Can’t Afford Christmas?
If buying presents for friends and family stresses you out every year because you can’t afford Christmas, you are not alone. And if you are on a tight budget like me, it can make planning for the holidays extremely challenging.
You still have your regular December bills you have to pay but now you have to scrounge up even more money to afford Christmas presents. How are you going to do it all?
Over the years, the members of our family have gone through some rough times, so we have established some traditions that have helped us have a budget-friendly Christmas and even found ways to get free money for presents! Here is how we didn’t spend a penny this year on the holidays…
Get the whole family on board
We have a total extended family of 8 adults and 5 children. Your family might be smaller or larger, but these tips can be utilized for a family of any size as long as you can get everyone on the same page. They might even appreciate your efforts as it will save everyone money in the long run.
Here are some ideas for any family or individual who can’t afford Christmas.
Rather than buy presents for everyone, we do a Secret Santa for the adults only. We pick one adult family member that we have to shop for. Just one.
There are several free online websites that you can use that will do the picking randomly for you and email your list to everyone in the pool.
Here are a few examples:
Draw Names works like this: Send out invitations by entering their names and email addresses. Everyone responds to their email invitation and clicks the link in their email invitation to join the group. They may also complete their wish list at that time.
Then it’s time to draw names! The names will be drawn out of a virtual hat. Each member will receive another email directing them to their drawn name. You can also send questions and receive the answers anonymously to help you choose the perfect gift. It will also save your group from previous years so you can use it over and over again.
To use Sneaky Santa first just set up some rules for the name drawing, send anonymous messages to the person whose name you draw, or you can just use it as a place to share gift ideas. You can even dig out photos from Christmas past to share with the group if you want. All you need to do is: Create or join a group. Enter gift ideas you are hoping for on your wishlist.
Draw names, check out what everybody wants, and you’re good to go.
Assign a budget
We assign a budget of $40 for our Secret Santa gift. We believe that this budget is friendly enough so that you can still get something nice without breaking the bank!
On top of our secret Santa, we also do a white elephant gift exchange for the adults with a budget of $15. These gifts are completely anonymous.
You can learn more by reading my White Elephant Gift Exchange Guide. In the end, every adult gets a total of 2 gifts and no one feels like they are getting the shaft.
And guess what? This year we didn’t even have to spend a penny of our own money! And this is how we did it…
Don’t spend a penny on Christmas gifts!
We got all of our Christmas money from making regular purchases throughout the year. Yes, you heard right. We bought groceries and got cash back for doing so!
Everybody has to buy groceries so why not get paid for them? There are a number of free apps available for download for the Android or the IPhone.
These are the ones we used and how much we cashed out for Christmas:
- Walmart Savings Catcher. If you do a bunch of your grocery shopping at Walmart you HAVE to get this app! You just scan your receipt and it price matches all of your local competing stores and refunds you the difference in the form of Walmart rewards dollars which you can spend on Walmart.com. They do all of the work for you. We have saved a ton of money this year with this app. But from now on, I’m just going to save all of it for next year’s Christmas budget.
Cashed out: $77.78
- Receipt Hog This is another app that requires you to take a photo of your receipt from your phone. It also has a bonus game where you can play slots for even more points. They pay you in the form of Paypal or an Amazon gift card. It takes a while to build up a decent amount of money, but it’s free so why not?
Cashed out: $25
- Checkout 51 is a site that will send you an actual check when your account balance reaches $20. You just pick and choose items from their featured list and then take a pic of your receipt. There are several items that they feature on this app that we don’t really use so it took us a while to build up enough funds. But by the time Christmas rolled around, we had enough to cash out.
Cashed out: $27
- Saving Star is a money-saving and cash payout app. You register your store card or you can save your receipt. You scan your items, then scan your receipt and get cash back. They also have “freebies” and healthy offers every week
Cashed out: $25.74
- Ibotta is a very popular shopping site as well. They have a variety of items that they will give you cash back on. You can also get cash back on staples like milk or produce. You can even join my team to get more money and bonuses. The more people who use the app on your team, the more money you can earn. What is even cooler, if there is an item on Ibotta that you have a manufacturer’s coupon for, you can still get money back on that item. It’s like saving twice! And if you sign up now through my link, you will get an instant $5 to get you started.
Cashed out: $77.31
- Inbox Dollars This site has lots of ways to earn a little green. You can do surveys, games, and read paid emails for more ways to make money. But these days I use it only for the coupons. They are the same coupons featured on all of the major coupon sites, but they actually pay you 10 cents each when you use them! Once you earn $30 in your account you are eligible to receive a payout. If you sign up with my link you can get a $5 sign up bonus to get you started!
Cashed out: $25.00
- Ebates I just started using Ebates this year and I wish I had done it sooner. Ebates actually gives you cash back for purchases you make at stores you would shop at anyway. You can install the app on your pc or phone and when you shop online and click on the Ebates button, you will see just how much cash back you can earn if you make a qualifying purchase. If you If you sign up now with my link you will get an instant $10! They pay you quarterly with a check or transfer to your Paypal account.
This year I got back: $199.53 total. Crazy right?
Total of $457.36 in FREE CASH this year!!!
So as you can see we earned a very nice amount of free cash just by snapping pictures of our receipts and shopping for products we would buy anyway! Talk about no effort.
We didn’t have to spend a penny on Christmas gifts. We even have enough money left over for wrapping paper and dinner.
*To see even more ways to earn free cash please visit my page How to get Free Cash for more awesome apps and ideas.
What about expensive purchases?
Now I know that this budget doesn’t cover that $400 PS3 your kids are screaming for or that Versace purse you have been eyeing. But when you are working on a limited budget like us, we just put big money purchases off for a few months.
For example, if there is a very expensive purchase that my family wants or needs, we make a list and use our Income Tax refund to pay for it. I use a free income tax calc to kind of give me an estimate on what I can expect.
I also save up unused vacation time at work and my company buys it back at the end of the year at time and a half. I know not all companies offer this type of program, but if they do, it’s a great way to earn a really nice paycheck in January.
So if you can’t afford Christmas, it’s never too late to start a new budget-friendly family tradition!
Do you think any of these tips would work for your family? What do you budget for the holidays every year? Leave me a comment and let me know!
Disclosure: I was not compensated for writing this post, but it does contain affiliate links which means I may be compensated a small amount if you click through and sign up. Full disclosure policy here.**