Why I Hate Valentine’s Day
Or maybe I’m just bitter…
You probably expected me to write about all of the cool products you can get for your sweetheart for Valentine’s Day right? Well this week, I have taken a break from writing product reviews to express my feelings about my least favorite holiday of the year. That’s right. I hate Valentine’s Day.
So then how did it evolve into the ridiculous holiday that it is now? Because greeting cards found a way to make money off of it. And then over time it all spiraled out of control. Here are 11 reasons why I hate Valentine’s Day.
- This is what I call a “Hallmark Holiday”. Strictly commercial. What I mean by this, is that it’s some made up holiday where people are guilted into buying cards and gifts to express their love. If you want to buy me a Valentine’s Day card however, the ones found here would be right up my alley.
- It is a whole lot of pressure to put on someone. The love of your life shouldn’t feel obligated to buy you anything to get “favors” in return. Or on the other hand, if he (or she) refuses to buy something, than he/she still runs the risk of the other partner getting mad. But if you are going to buy your love a ring, you’ll need a really cool ring holder to go with it. Why not check out this one from Amazon here. Trust me, she’ll love it!
- If you buy a gift but don’t put any thought into it e.g. buy one of those $2 Teddy Bears from the guy selling them out of his van on the side of the road, your significant other is still going to be mad. Think she won’t know? Wrong! If you absolutely must buy your love a teddy bear, you might as well fork up the big bucks and get one like this.
- If YOU make your love of your life feel bad about buying a crappy gift, then you are also part of the problem.
- Good luck finding a restaurant. Yep, have fun with that.
- Flowers die. A silk plant on the other hand is always nice.
- Candy hearts are gross. They are also inappropriate for 5 year old children in kindergarten. You really want your little boy to give a little girl a heart that says “Reach 4 It?” That is kind of creepy. And they use horrible spelling. Crazy 4U is just wrong! Is this what we’re teaching our kids?! If you must buy these annoying candy hearts for Valentine’s Day, knock yourself out. You can find this 5lb bag here on Amazon. Then you can have candy hearts 4evr!
- Cupid is stupid. If I saw an ugly fat baby in a sash flying around with a bow and arrow pointed at me, I’d run screaming for the hills.
- It makes single people feel awful! Remember high school candy grams and everyone in school seemed to get one except you, so you bought one for yourself from “Your Secret Admirer”? No? Ok I guess that was just me…But I’m sure you can remember those days of being single and not having someone to share Valentine’s Day with. It sucks and it’s depressing. If you’re single on Valentine’s Day then something must be wrong with you. I bet you hate Valentine’s Day too.
- You have to watch other people celebrate Valentine’s day. Whether it’s the inappropriate displays of public affection or seeing every single store filled to the brim with hearts and the color red. Kill me now. (Target, you are always red, thus you are forgiven)
- I was looking forward to finally losing all the weight gained over Thanksgiving and Xmas. Why are you now tempting me with that delicious box of chocolate candy? I hate you.
Am I bitter? Not really. I’m just
jealous practical. Nobody should need a holiday to show the love of their life how they really feel. And no other holiday makes those without a partner feel like crap quite like this one. Gifts and flowers are so much more meaningful if they are given on the spur of the moment. Wouldn’t you be more amazed if your partner randomly surprised you with a token of their affection on a regular day when it’s not expected? That is love right there. And if Valentine’s day is the only day of the year where you or your spouse remembers to do something special for each other, then I get it. And I’m sorry.
As for me, I don’t need jewelry, flowers, or cards. If you want to express your love for me, show me that you can save money. Do the laundry (after 7pm – it’s cheaper), cook me dinner, or wash my car. Heck, I’d even be thrilled if you would just put the freaking toilet paper on the roll. And while I might bitch and moan about how you are ruining my diet, I totally would not turn down a box of chocolate. I’m particularly partial to truffles like these. Heck, I’ll even share a piece or two. Don’t push it.
Do you hate Valentine’s Day as much as I do? Why or why not? Want to see more posts like this? Let me know in the comments!
Disclaimer: I did not get paid to write this post. I did not even get any free products. But it does contains affiliate links which means I may be compensated a small amount if you click through and purchase. Full disclosure policy here.** This post was written all in good fun so please don’t send me hate mail. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.